Other courses that you might be interested in...
QQI Level 6
Full-time (09.30 - 16.30, Mon. - Fri.)
Start Date: 09/09/2019
Finish Date: 29/05/2020
Registration Fee: €300
This full-time course will open individuals up to the magic of storytelling through contemporary cinema and photography. It is a one-year full-time course, which supports the development of a portfolio of your work for college and also employment. The course will support students in making successful applications to specialist degree courses such as TV & Film, Photography, Fine Art, Media Communications, Journalism, Design for Screen & Stage and Film History.
The practical, hands-on, aspects of the course are delivered in a dedicated Apple Authorised Training room, while film appreciation is dealt with in our state-of-the-art 4K cinema. See our growing film library here.
G Suite for Education is a powerful communication and collaboration solution, which offers best-in-class productivity tools built for teaching and learning. Each student receives a free, unlimited cloud storage, G Suite account to support their learning throughout their time at GSA.
Written and Directed by James Dixon
Photography by Michael Byrne and Lori Stacey
Title: Film and Television Production
6N5427 Editing Practice and Techniques
6N5428 Film and Digital Video Production
6N18514 Documentary Production
6N5527 Visualisation Skills for Art Direction
6N3589 Digital Photography
6N3729 Still Life Photography
6N1948 Team Leadership
6N1946 Work Experience
From this course, students are eligible to apply to 1st Year AND/OR 2nd Year of Level 7 and Level 8 degree courses. Below are our students most popular direct/advanced entry progression routes into 1st and 2nd Year. With our status as an Apple Authorised Training Centre for Education, this course will also provide progression into employment within the film and television industry.
As Gorey School of Art is now an Apple Certified Training Centre for Education, students who successfully complete our new Documentary Filmmaking & Photography course have the opportunity to attain academic and industry qualifications simultaneously.
QQI Level 6
What does that mean? Well, put simply it means that you can use your academic qualification to apply for a place in year 1 or 2 of a Level 8 Degree and/or use your industry qualification to secure employment.
On this course, students will:
• Learn the fundamentals of writing, developing, producing and directing a short documentary.
• Study the history of documentary production as well as exploring episodic and feature length scripts.
• Gain experience working as a director, producer, cinematographer, sound mixer, and editor on student productions.
• An in-depth experience working with digital video cameras, Digital SLR cameras and sound recording equipment.
• Reach a sufficient mastery of photography editing software.
• Reach a professional standard in video editing. Utilising our in-house Apple Certified Pro and contracted Apple Certified Trainer, students will be professionally trained in the industry standard video editing application, Final Cut Pro X
• Gain sufficient knowledge of sound design, multiple track laying, and sound mixing to complete and enhance the Final Documentary.
• Gain knowledge of aesthetic film and photography theory, and documentary ethics, and experience with practical application of the same.
• Learn to work independently and collaboratively in a high-pressure creative environment.
Applicants will provide a record of their education attainment to date. It is essential that an applicant has completed the leaving cert and has achieved a minimum of D3 on the ordinary level English paper.
Applicants will be expected to attend an interview, where an informal assessment will take place to choose suitable candidates for the course. This course will require individuals who can work effectively and productively as part of a team.
Firstly the interviewers will be looking for applicants who have completed the leaving certificate or are over the age of 23. Successful applicants will have a mature attitude and will also be competent with computers, preferably Macs. Applicants should be passionate about the world around them. During the interview, each applicant will be asked to demonstrate their interest in lens based media i.e. TV, Film, Photography etc., with particular emphasis being placed on documentaries. About 20% of this course focuses on writing, scripting and presenting. As a result, the ideal applicant would have a good command of the english language.